Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Point and Pray

In Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America, David Hackett Fischer describes a peculiar method occasionally used by Puritans to name their children:
There is evidence that parents sometimes shut their eyes, opened the good book and pointed to a word at random, with results such as Notwithstanding Griswold and Maybe Barnes.
FB and I tried this method, first with a Bible, then with the US Constitution.

I opened the Bible and FB pointed. Result: Reconciled.

FB opened the Constitution and I pointed. Result: President.

Reconciled is actually not too bad, though it does sound a little defeatist. I like some of those old virtue names like Temperence, Thankful, Remember, etc. I maintain that Diligence and Vigilance would be good twin names.

No comments:

Post a Comment