Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, January 29, 2010

A Toddler Has Taken Over My Body

This week, I am enduring a tutorial on food cravings.

I've had food cravings before, but never like this. Usually, I can defer an inappropriate desire for ice cream by taking a walk or turning my mind to other things for 20 minutes or so. These cravings are different — they demand to be satisfied and refuse to recede. It is strange to be obsessed by egg salad for an hour.

The state of things has led to a schism between my mind and body. In the past few days, I have had multiple Gollum-like conversations in which I attempt to convince the demanding toddler who has taken control of my stomach that HOT DOGS ARE NOT A BREAKFAST FOOD.

Unfortunately, food cravings, like toddlers, cannot be reasoned with.

Luckily, most of my food issues so far have not been fatally unhealthy. I have an aversion to all types of soda, which has made it easy to cut down on caffeine. I can rationalize my mania for egg salad and hot dogs as a desire for protein. It's not as if I'm craving broccoli or carrots, but I am eating those things too and not puking them up, which is good enough for me.

Perhaps this part of pregnancy is supposed to make me more sympathetic to the demands of a small person who as very immediate needs that cannot be deferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment